Hair Loss - Causes and Treatment for Hair Loss
Hair is made of a type of protein called keratin . A single hair consists of a hair shaft, a root below the skin, and a follicle, from which the hair root grows. At the lower end of the follicle is the hair bulb, where the hair's color pigment, or melanin , is produced.
Hair has been called our "crowning glory." Society has placed a great deal of social and cultural importance on hair and hairstyles. Hair loss usually develops gradually and may be patchy or diffuse. Roughly 100 hairs are lost from your head every day. The average scalp contains about 100,000 hairs.
Both men and women tend to lose hair thickness and amount as they age. Inherited or "pattern baldness" affects many more men than women. About 25% of men begin to bald by the time they are 30 years old, and about two-thirds are either bald or have a balding pattern by age 60.
Most people lose about 50 to 100 head hairs a day. These hairs are replaced - they grow back in the same follicle on your head. This amount of hair loss is totally normal and no cause for worry.
Causes of Excessive Hair Loss:
A number of things can cause excessive hair loss. Some importants may include as:-
- Hormonal problems, may cause hair loss. If your thyroid gland is overactive or underactive, your hair may fall out. This hair loss usually can be helped by treatment of the thyroid disease. Hair loss may occur if male or female hormones, known as androgens and estrogens, are out of balance. Correcting the hormone imbalance may stop your hair loss.
- Some medicines, can cause hair loss. This type of hair loss improves when you stop taking the medicine. Medicines that can cause hair loss include blood thinners , medicines used for gout, medicines used in chemotherapy to treat cancer, vitamin A, birth control pills and antidepressants.
- High Fever, Severe Infection, Severe Flu - Illnesses, may cause hairs to enter the resting phase. Four weeks to three months after a high fever, severe illness, or infection, a person may be shocked to see a lot of hair falling out. This shedding usually corrects itself.
- Cancer Treatments - Some cancer treatments will cause hair cells to stop dividing. Hairs become thin and break off as they exit the scalp. This occurs one to three weeks after the treatment. Patients can lose up to 90 percent of their scalp hair. The hair will regrow after treatment ends. Patients may want to get wigs before treatment.
Treatments for Hair Loss:
- Herbal hair loss treatment: Saini Herbal Scalp & Hair Conditioner is a totally natural herbal extract and has no chemicals. Its base is white paraffin, a mixing carrier for the herbs used. White paraffin is used in everyday lotions and cosmetics, even baby oil.
- Inhibiting DHT: Nutrifolica contains Saw-Palmetto , a powerful all-natural herbal extract that inhibits DHT production. DHT is the hormone that "kills" hair follicles. But by lowering DHT levels with Saw Palmetto, hair growth is re-established and follicles will produce full, healthy strands of hair again. Best of all, Saw Palmetto has no side effects, unlike Finasteride or Minoxidil.